Monday, April 24, 2006

On my High Horse

I got on my high horse a little bit today.

As you will have probably heard on the news, the NHS is in the middle of cutting thousands of jobs throughout the country.

For those of you across the pond, the NHS is our healthcare system. It provides doctors, hospitals etc.

I work for them, not in a clinical post, but in the IT department. Our team is somewhat overstaffed, that's why I've been seconded for a while, because we have staff to spare. My job is at risk, and seeing that it's always me that gets seconded everywhere, I'm clearly the most dispensable person. Therefore I'm hedging my bets that it’s going to be me that goes.

What annoys me though, is that in the news it's all sympathy for the nurses who might lose their jobs, but what about us in the admin roles? Our jobs are just as much at risk as the nurses, so why aren't those roles in the news too?

I absolutely realise that the nurses play a vital role in the service, but so do we, and I don't think we get as much publicity as we deserve. Is it not just as important that we can afford to pay our mortgage and feed and clothe ourselves too?

I feel bad at the thought of anyone losing his or her job; it’s a worrying time for us all, not just the nurses. We’re all in the same boat and that should be acknowledged.

I’m in my 3rd week of my secondment now. I have tomorrow off as annual leave. Next week is a 4 day week because of the bank holiday, I have 3 days off later on in May for the run up to my brothers wedding, then there’s another bank holiday at the end of may. Then it’s June and it’s the month I get married!! Yay!!

But also the month I turn 25. BOO!!!

4 Comments:

At 11:38 pm, April 24, 2006, Blogger AndieB said...

25!!!! Wait until you get ready to turn 29.....30 is just round the corner!

 
At 3:25 pm, April 25, 2006, Blogger Jolynn said...

25!!!? I turn 30 in August. THIRTY!!! Anyway, sorry your job situation is so unstable. That is so unsettling. I know how you feel though. I work for a corporation and there are always rumors of downsizing. It's scary.

 
At 7:34 pm, April 25, 2006, Blogger Envoy-ette said...

I hear you! Not only are you not noticed...but sometimes even hinted at being the BAD GUY! I hope it turns out for you. Oh, and I'm 41!

 
At 11:41 pm, May 03, 2006, Blogger M said...

Hopefully, you'll get to keep your post as long as you need it.

25 is not so bad. You'll remember it as a good year because you and "Tom" got hitched! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home